Tuesday, November 27, 2007

cell phones

Okay, I just want to know how parents dealt with teens BCF .... Before Cell Phones.

I guess kids used pay phones although I don't remember much of that. I think I just showed up when I showed up. I never had a bus anyway (always just inside the one mile cutoff). So I had to walk to and from school. My mom didn't have a car when I was in elementary school so somehow I got there in rain or snow ... neighbors all pitched in.

But now schools are farther away and across big roads and what with all the pedophiles lurking, kids these days have little freedom out in the real world.

When my 9th grader left this morning at 7 am, he didn't know if he had marching band practice or not. He says he can't use his cell phone on school grounds so how was I supposed to know if he needed pick up or not? I got a text message from the bus that yes there was practice. But no indication of what time it ended. Is it a one hour or two hour practice? Will the mom who usually does Tuesdays be able to do it?

And he is lucky I even saw the text message because the only ones I get are from Verizon telling me my bill is due.

I want him to be safe. Both my middle schooler and high schooler have cell phones.

But sometimes I just wonder how I survived. Wait. I have a call coming in ...

And so it goes.

No comments: